Wednesday 20 April 2011

Ups & Downs of Invisible Illness

The Ups:

  1. If I feel like it I can fake being healthy.
  2. I’m not on the receiving end of ridicule, sympathy stares or pity.
  3. I don’t have to deal with rude or odd comments, or invasive, uncomfortable questions.
  4. I have some privacy for my illness, meaning I can reveal it to who I want, when I want – or I can remain an assumed ‘normal’ person.
  5. Others don’t need to know how insecure I am about my illness or about myself in general.

The Downs:

  1. Most people assume I am fine and not struggling.
  2. Others get frustrated and don’t understand why I don’t feel like talking, or socializing, or even smiling sometimes.
  3. I’m often perceived as lazy or not trying hard enough.
  4. Others don’t appreciate just how much effort it takes sometimes to get out of bed… and then do everything else that comes after it.
  5. People with a visible illness or injury are more likely to be shown compassion and support.
 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment